Thursday, January 8, 2015

Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas

 
Published: September 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Pages: 562
Copy Provided by: Borrowed from the Library
Summary: Goodreads
 
 
Summary:
Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy.

While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?
 
Review:
 
First of all, Heir of Fire is book #3 in the Throne of Glass series and I don't recommend jumping in and reading from here.  Read books 1 and 2 first before you tackle this one or you will be completely lost.
 
At first I found it very difficult to jump back into the plot of this novel and recount what had happened in previous books.  However, once I got into the thick of things, it was such a hard novel to put down. I found myself reading whenever I had a chance...waiting in line at the bank....going up in the elevator....sitting as a passenger in the car...thank god for e-books!!
 
There is a new set of characters that are introduced into this book - the witches.    They seem incredibly fierce and hell bent on taking over the world and righting long-held grudges.  I wonder what kind of role they will take on in this final battle?
 
As I was reading Heir of Fire, I found myself comparing the story to a YA version of Game of Thrones.  You've got lost heritage lines, people coming back from the grave, a magical mystery element, mythical creatures, lots to keep a reader interested!
 
The relationship between Nehemiah and Celena plays a big role in how she copes with her abilities in this book.  She is barely hanging on emotionally and the guilt she has in Nehemiah's death drags her to the utter depths of despair.  Their friendship was more of a sisterhood.  I'm not sure that men have the same kind of bonds that layer emotionally.
 
About halfway through my heart broke for Celena.  Sarah J Maas set this up perfectly for her main character to crash and burn all the very long way down only to be built back up again.  I was so sad for Celena but I felt like I was cheering on the sidelines for her recovery.
 
A couple things to note.  There is language in this book and the subject matter is quite involved.  The story is intricate and I would highly recommend it to a reader who likes to read back stories as well. The accompanying novellas to this series make it quite interesting.
 
This is such an intricate and intriguing tale that I have enjoyed immensely over the past couple years that I believe I would add it to one of my top favorite series.  I though this was a trilogy and wasn't sure whether to jump up and down cheering or crying when I discovered when there was a Book 4.  Cheer because the story will continue or cry because I have to wait until SEPTEMBER 2015!!! According to Goodreads, there will be 6 titles in the series.  Yay for Sarah J Maas!!  Sad for me and my patience.....


2 comments:

  1. Loved reading your review here, I especially enjoyed how you said that SJM perfectly broke down Celaena and rebuilt her just as perfectly. As heartbreaking as it was it was also perfection and made me want to cheer for her too. This series has easily become one of my all-time favorites and Celaena one of my favorite heroines ♥ I loved the detail in HoF, the world-building, how the magical system expanded, the characters, the friendships....EVERYTHING. Fantastic review and here's to the looong wait for ToG4 XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micheline, thank you for the comments. I am kind of blown away by how involved this series is. When I had first read book #1 I thought - Okaaay....a super assassin at such a young age? Not very realistic but then again this is fiction but now that the story has developed further, there are several aha moments. I feel like I need to start a book club just to discuss everything! :)

    ReplyDelete