Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Musings by Knitwits - One Skein Lace Wonders



 
Published: September 2013
Publisher: Storey Publishing
Pages: 304
Copy: Netgalley
 
 
 
I am a huge fan of projects that can be completed using one skein of yarn, for two reasons.  firstly, it's a great way of tidying up your stash - come on, how many single skeins do you have left from other projects (or how many single skeins did you buy just because you loved the yarn)? Secondly, if you're only using one skein of yarn, chances are, it's going to be a fairly quick project - the exception being lace yarn shawls. Thirdly (oops, I should have said three reasons) if you're buying new yarn, it will be much cheaper than larger projects.
 
Lace One-skein Wonders did not disappoint me.  As you can see from the cover, there are 101 different projects available in the book, all with full instructions.  There are hats, caps, gloves, mitts, socks etc.  Scarves, cowls, shawls and stoles.  There are kids knits, there are lacy accessories and then there are home accessories.  101 choices. 
 
I am a sucker for the scarves and shawls myself.  I don't think you can ever have too many scarves.  oh, and socks for that matter.  and there are some absolutely beautiful patterns in this book.  Some are simple, some not quite so much, but there is so much variety that I doubt anyone would be disappointed 
 
One thing I should clarify is that this book is full of LACE projects all using one skein of different weights of yarn, NOT all using lace yarn, which is what I thought originally. So if you are shy of lace knitting, this might not be the book for you.  But then again, if you're not sure about lace knitting, what better way to learn, than with a small project that only uses one skein of yarn.
 
Final verdict - knitters, add this book to your library, you will not be disappointed.  Non-knitters, add this book to your library anyway - then find yourself a friend who knits, and ask them nicely if they will knit something for you, or get them to teach you.  If you don't have a knitting friend - just look at the pictures.  They're beautiful.
 
I'm just really sad that my copy will expire in just a few day.  I'm definitely going to have to go out and buy myself a copy.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment