Saturday, December 15, 2012

Hidden by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast


Published: October 2012
Publisher: St Martin's Griffin
Pages: 320
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads
Summary:
At last, Zoey has what she wanted: the truth is out. Neferet's evil has been exposed, and the High Council is no longer on her side -- but she's far from done wreaking havoc in the vampyre world. First, a mysterious fire ravages the stables. Then, Neferet makes a devastating move that will test them all.
With the seeds of distrust sown and Darkness breeding chaos at the House of Night, everyone must band together -- but that's proving to be more difficult than ever before. The twins are barely speaking and the House of Night's former enemy, Kalona, has now become their warrior, pushing their trust to the limit. To top it off, Zoey is pretty darn sure she might be losing her mind. She saw something when she looked at Aurox through the Seer Stone that she can hardly explain to herself, let alone her friends. Is it possible that Heath has come back in a different form? Is that why Zoey's so intrigued by Aurox, when it's so obvious that he's dangerous? And who would believe her if she told them? Zoey knows that following her instinct about Aurox might be just what they need to defeat evil . . . but if she's wrong, it could cause the destruction of those closest to her.
With the tension at a breaking point and friendships on the line, can the nerd herd come together to stop the spread of Darkness before it's too late?
Review

The House of Night series is long and complicated.  This is book #10 so if you haven't already started reading this series, DO NOT start with this one.  As always, the subject matter in this series is not appropriate for a younger audience and there is quite a bit of language.  You will find that there is a lot of "teen speak".  Many of the characters use slang terms so an older adult audience may not identify or appreciate this.  However, if you are ready to take the leap as an adult, reading the House of Night (aka the Neverending) series is similar to reading Sweet Valley High only there are vampires...and sex and violence.  Once you've invested your time into 5 or more books, you may as well continue to the end.

I have a love/hate relationship with this series.  I do enjoy reading it but sometimes the verbal teen banters gets on my nerves.  There are also a lot of pop culture references which is a big reading pet peeve of mine because it tends to date a book.

Suprisingly, I have gotten back into the storyline...after the episode involving Neferet and a bull, I was a little iffy about returning as a reader. As Zoey would say "what kind of bullpoopie is this?"  However, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to see the story panned out again in the newest installment.  Sometimes I feel like I've got a bad addiction.  Book #10 held more promise that the past 3 books.  Zoey is becoming more mature and I like the development of Shaylin.  Another aspect of this particular book that I am enjoying is the de-evolution of the twins (they started to get on my nerves around book 3 or 4) and Shauneen's growth as a character.  I'm interested to see where this is going.  So what is my conclusion about Hidden?  If you're hooked on House of Night, you'll love it.  If you stopped reading after book 3 or 4, keep walking down the teen read aisle for something more substantial.  

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! I totally agree with the whole "Neverending" series. Seriously, when is it gonna end?! I too have a love/hate relationship with this whole series! It does get on my nerves too. Gosh, are we bItching about this too much?! Anyways, great review! I'll try my best to read Hidden soon. Or not. ;) I hate leaving a series halfway so I guess I'll have to. :/

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete