Thursday, November 3, 2011

Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay


Published: August 2011
Publisher: Delacorte
Pages: 306
Copy: From Library
Summary: Goodreads

"These violent delights have violent ends And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,

Which as they kiss consume."


—Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare


The most tragic love story in history . . .


Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love.


Juliet Immortal was one of those books that ended up surprising the hell out of me.  I really wasn't expecting anything very special - not sure why - but what I got absolutely knocked my socks off.  I LOVED it.  Oh my goodness, this is not your normal Romeo and Juliet, not by a long shot.

Romeo is Evil, with a capital 'E'.  He just drips venom - there are no redeeming qualities to him at all - at least for 98% of the book - oops, is that a spoiler, I'm not sure?  This Romeo is a really nasty piece of work - concerned only with himself and getting in the way of true love.  Juliet on the other hand is Good. She is working to keep love in the world and is totally selfless.  Well, may'be not totally.

The interesting thing about the story is that from very early on I knew exactly what was going to happen - but I didn't have a clue how it would happen, and that made me read at a furious pace.  I just didn't want to put the book down.  Yes, it is a story about the power of true love, but there are so many surprises in it, that I was never quite sure what was going to happen next, or to whom. I now want to go and read the play again, just to remind myself about "true love's kiss" and wonder again about the power of love.

Good vs Evil in a very unexpected package.  Highly recommended for those who enjoy a love story with a difference.  Lovely cover too, but doesn't have a thing to do with the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment