Thursday, August 28, 2014

Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike


Published: April 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 320
Copy Provided by: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
Kimberlee’s dead. Has been for a while, actually. Stuck haunting the halls of her high school, she’s doomed to an afterlife of boredom. That is until the new kid shows up.

The first thing Jeff spots is Kimberlee lying on the floor as other students walk right through her. Pretty soon she’s harangued him into helping her escape to the afterlife.

Kimberlee guesses that once Jeff rights her mean girl wrongs she’ll be able to move on. But nothing is simple in life after death...

Review:
To be honest, I knew nothing about this title until I read the novella One More Day.  I added it to my TBR list because I am a fan of Aprilynne Pike's Wings series.  It was a good twist on a modern day thief trying to redeem herself in the afterlife by convincing someone to help her return the good she has stolen.  It reminded me of a made for TV movie and lacked the depth I am used to from this author but it was still a fun read!

Jeff goes through the usual peer pressure of trying to fit in at a new school while being coached by the ever popular Kimberlee only to realize that he is better off being himself to attract the girl he likes.  We also discover a few things about Kimberlee that are not so likeable.  Towards the end of the book, I felt like I wanted to punch this girl out.  There are definitely themes you could draw out for an ISU assignment - shop-lifting, peer pressure, dating, bullying.  Tons to analyze for a stand-alone title.  Overall I would recommend it to a pre-teen audience just heading into high school.

On a side-note, the beginning of Chapter 30 is like an updated version of Say Anything...without the boombox (for those of you old enough to know what a boombox is and can quote "Say Anything")....

No comments:

Post a Comment