Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead


Published: February 2013
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 432
Copy Provided by: Bought
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.


Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, the Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive—this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone’s out for blood.

Review:

Firstly, let me get this off my chest...ITS ABOUT TIME!!!  Whew, now that that's over, let's review, shall we?

So I ran out to get this one on release day at my local Chapters during my lunch hour.  I scoured the store but couldn't find it so I spoke to a salesperson who said their new arrivals had been shipped late and were still in the back.  I actually asked if they could crack open one of the boxes for me.  New release fever.  Have you had it before?  Symptoms may include dry mouth, dizziness and bloodshot eyes.  Reading while walking back to work is hazardous.  People, please don't try to use escalators while reading....

Reading a Richelle Mead book for me is like sitting down with an old friend and catching up over a fantastic meal.  We chat a bit and then we gossip and review every little thing that has happened since our last get-together.  If I had had the time, I would have re-read Bloodlines and The Golden Lily to get reacquainted with Sydney, Adrian, Jill and the rest of the gang.  However, Ms. Mead does an excellent job of re-capping what happened in her last two titles and re-establishing relationships you had forgotten about.  I LOVE it when authors do this well.  It saves me at least 300 pages of re-reading previous titles.  

Bloodlines would be in my top YA book series of all time.  The Mortal Instruments (all books) takes the top spot and Vampire Academy takes #2.  Speaking of Mortal Instruments, the movie is coming out this fall.  CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT!!  In book to movie news, my #2 series is also in production.  I have been keeping my eye on what is happening with the Vampire Academy movie and 2014 can't come soon enough for me.  Some of my favourite series being made into movies (Hunger Games, Beautiful Creatures, Mortal Instruments, Vampire Academy).  Zoey Deutch (Emily in Beautiful Creatures) will be playing Rose Hathaway in Vampire Academy (can you say skyrocketing to fame?)  
 
So let's have a chat about Indigo Spell.  Sydney is torn in all sorts of directions in this book.  She is exploring her magical side, being hunted down by witch, discovers the truth about her Alchemist background and has found a new friend (or foe?) in Marcus Finch (ex-Alchemist).  It is a good thing this gal is smart because she is also attending school.  How does she juggle it all?  With a little help from her friends, a teacher and a very forgiving dorm mother.  The Indigo Spell is an excellent continuation in Sydney's story.  She grows a lot in this book and I'm happy to see her opening up to new ideas.  As always, she has her wits about her (usually) and though she may seem very conservative and boring, her life is anything but.  I love how she is coming out of her shell.

Mead.  It rhymes with Read.  As in, support your local bookstore, buy it and get your nose in a book.  


1 comment:

  1. New follower via GFC! :)
    http://owlnestlyreviews.blogspot.com/2013/03/feature-and-follow-friday-2.html

    ReplyDelete