Thursday, December 6, 2012

Same Book, Second Look - Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay


Published: August 2011
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Pages: 307
Copy Provided by: NetGalley
Summary: Goodreads


Summary:
The most tragic love story in history . . .

Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love.

Review:
It has taken me awhile to get to this book.  I feel like it has been on my TBR list for FOREVER and I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to read it.  This book started out beautifully.  It was exactly what I was expecting - re-enacting Romeo romancing Juliet, climbing through her windowsill and just being swoonworthy...and then...the audience fast-forwards into the current year with a slightly highly more jaded Juliet, Ambassdor of Light, enemy of Romeo (Mercenary of the Apolcalypse).  I swear I heard the sound of a record scratching as my mind came to a halt, my mouth dropped open and I'm thinking  - uhhh...what did I miss???  I think I should have read the summary.
 
I may have felt a bit lost at first but I certainly wasn't disappointed with this novel.  Ms. Jay puts quite the twist on Shakespeare's classic.  Even though it wasn't what I was expecting, her unique perspective on our classic love story was fascinating and so much fun to watch unfold.  I found myself thinking that Romeo was quite the rogue.  By the end of the novel I actually felt sorry for the poor fellow.  Book #2 is already out and I must say, I'm anxious to see how Romeo fares.  I actually have Romeo Redeemed on my reader already to dive into!

No comments:

Post a Comment