Tuesday, July 5, 2011

In Case you Missed it - What Happened to Cass McBride by Gail Giles

Published: May 2007
Publisher: Little, Brown Young Readers
Pages: 240
Copy Obtained by: Library
Summary: Goodreads

Summary:
Kyle Kirby has planned a cruel and unusual revenge on Cass McBride, the most popular girl in school, for the death of his brother David. He digs a hole. Drugs Cass. Kidnaps her. Puts her in a box-underground. He buries her alive. But Kyle makes a fatal error: Cass knows the power of words. She uses fear as her weapon to keep her nemesis talking - and to keep herself breathing during the most harrowing 48 hours of her life.

Review:
A colleague referred this book to me and I thought I'd give it a shot. I wouldn't have normally chosen it just because I'm a cover snob but now as I look at it, the cover actually depicts Cass stuck in a box.  What Happened to Cass McBride is a rather quick read and fairly intense.

The author draws out a plethora of emotions with this one and I suspect if you enjoy reading Elizabeth Scott titles, you would also enjoy this one. One of the things that I really enjoyed with this title is that it gave me food for thought. Like Thirteen Reasons Why, it leaves you wondering how your behaviour impacts the lives of others. There are consequences in trying to manipulate others and when you avoid taking the high road.

This would make a great novel study for someone who is a reluctant reader (both for guys and girls). There are tons of themes to interpret - anywhere from dynamic relationships and the breakdown of family structure to suicide, peer pressure, popularity and grief.  

1 comment:

  1. I actually bought this book for a friend of mine for Christmas. I should've kept it xP

    ReplyDelete