Thursday, June 23, 2011

Claire de Lune by Christine Johnson

Published: May 2010
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 336
Copy: borrowed
Summary: Goodreads


Claire is having the perfect sixteenth birthday. Her pool party is a big success, and gorgeous Matthew keeps chatting and flirting with her as if she's the only girl there. But that night, she discovers something that takes away all sense of normalcy: she's a werewolf.



As Claire is initiated into the pack of female werewolves, she must deal not only with her changing identity, but also with a rogue werewolf who is putting everyone she knows in danger. Claire's new life threatens her blossoming romance with Matthew, whose father is leading the werewolf hunt. Now burdened with a dark secret and pushing the boundaries of forbidden love, Claire is struggling to feel comfortable in either skin. With her lupine loyalty at odds with her human heart, she will make a choice that will change her forever?.


Sometimes my cluelessness astounds me - I was just sitting down to write this review when it dawned on me what the title of this book is about. - the main character is called Claire - DUH!  I've only spent hours reading it and looking at the title, but it just didn't click until now.  I know, some people are so slow, and I guess I'm one of them :P

Anyway, on to the review.  This book has been around for over a year, but it was only when I saw the sequel in an email from Simon and Schuster, that I thought maybe I'd like to read it.  I started it off and at first I was a little disappointed - my thoughts were 'just another teen werewolf book'.  But I have to be honest, I changed my mind the more I read, and in the end I really enjoyed it. The mystery element of the book was extremely engaging, and I found myself convinced I knew who the 'bad' guy was several times. 

One of the things I really enjoyed was the role reversal in Claire de lune.  The werewolves here are the girls - go girls! - and there are no male werewolves.  Don't you just love it?  The love interest is Matthew, and he charmingly steps into the role usually taken by the female in the story.   It was kind of neat, and different.  I enjoyed the way that both these characters weren't afraid to form their own opinions, and didn't follow the crowds, and there were some interesting takes on lying to people - when is it ok?  Is it ever ok?  I guess you'll have to read and find out for yourselves. It was a nice quick read, and would be a good addition to your summer pile.

I'm now looking forward to downloading the follow-up from Simon and Schuster - I'll let you know what I think of it when I'm done.

PS Don't forget to check out our giveaway for our 1 year blogversary.  You can find it HERE

2 comments:

  1. I like the switch in gender roles. I'm glad to hear it's better than "just another teen werewolf book."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this one was pretty average, IMHO. I reviewed it back when I had just started blogging, and liked some of the ideas, but found it really, really, slapdash. Like it had been thrown together to cash in on the Twilight craze.

    Love the cover, though. The new version isn't anywhere near as good.

    -LupLun
    Lupines and Lunatics

    ReplyDelete