Monday, June 28, 2010

Confessions of Georgia Nicolson





Confessions of Georgia Nicolson Vols 1-10 by Louise Rennison
Published: Various
Summary: Curlypow
Obtained: Curlypow's collection

The 10 volumes that comprise the Confessions of Georgia Nicolson cover approximately 2 years in the life of ordinary British schoolgirl Georgia. She and her best friends, the Ace Gang, navigate the complex and troubled waters of high school with humour and tears. They cope with the highs and lows of first love, while dealing with angry and jealous prefects, unreasonable teachers, unsympathetic parents and the occasional demented cat. Georgia is in the unenviable position of having to decide between boyfriends, which turns out to be a much harder task than anyone would believe. The path to true love is definitely not smooth for Georgia!

I absolutely love this series. It was published over the course of 10 years and I have waited anxiously for every volume to come out. Sometimes I think that I relate to this series because I went to school in england and I remember 'nicker warmers in the blodge lab' (for the un-initiated, that is a radiator that can be sat on in the biology lab- I used one often in the cold winters)and other uniquely British items. But if you're not sure what things are you can always check out the glossary at the back of the books. Ms Rennison has managed to capture the realities of school with humour and insight. What exactly does 'see you later' mean in boy/girl language? Does anyone out there really know? Georgia goes from having no boyfriend to having 3, well not really 3, because Dave the laugh doesn't really count- does he? Well may'be, he certainly is a good snogger (kisser), but she only went out with him to make the Sex God jealous, and then the Luurve God came on the scene and .... Oh you'll just have to read them for yourselves.

I have just re-read all 10 volumes in 3 days - I know, get a life Curlypow. I didn't intend to read them that way, it just happened. I couldn't stop myself. I sat in my chair with my cup of tea and a box of kleenex and thoroughly enjoyed myself. The kleenex I must point out, were for tears of laughter, not sadness. The books are laugh-out-loud funny even after a third or fourth reading. In my humble opinion, these are an absolute, must have summer read. So if you haven't already met Georgia, pop off to the library, or bookstore and get aquainted, and if you have read them before - well they're worth reading again!

Vol. 1 Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging

Vol. 2 On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God

Vol. 3 Knocked Out by my Nunga Nungas

Vol. 4 Away Laughing on a Fast Camel

Vol. 5 Dancing in My Nuddy Pants

Vol. 6 Then he Ate m Boy Entrancers

Vol. 7 Startled by his Furry Shorts

Vol. 8 Love is a Many Trousered Thing

Vol. 9 Stop in the Name of Pants

Vol. 10 Are These my Basoomas I See Before Me

No comments:

Post a Comment